Whitelist a Sender's Email Address in Hotmail.com/Outlook.com and Yahoo! Mail
Saturday, 16 April 2016
Some of my clients have had problems with outbound mail going to Hotmail and Yahoo! addresses this week.If this has happened to you, I wanted to let you know about something that may help. This includes other addresses that are under the same "umbrella": Hotmail includes outlook.com, hotmail.co.uk, live.co.uk, live.com and msn.com addresses. And Yahoo! looks after email for BT Connect and Sky.
If you're able to pass these instructions on to people then they may find it helpful:
HotmailIf you are able to make contact in some other way with correspondents who use Hotmail, it may help to ask them to add you to their "Safe Senders" list.
- Log in to Hotmail (these days it's known as outlook.com)
- Click the cog icon in the top right
- Select "Options"
- In the left-hand menu, choose Mail > Junk email > Safe senders
- In the right-hand panel you may already have a list of emails. There is an input box at the top marked "Enter a sender or domain here"
- In that box, type either a full email address (email@example.com) or a domain (example.com) and then click the little "+" icon
- When you have finished adding domains or email addresses you MUST then click the Save icon at the top.
- Remember: If you don't click save, your Safe senders list WILL NOT BE UPDATED.
Yahoo!The Yahoo! Mail method is less intuitive than Hotmail.
- Log in to Yahoo! Mail
- Place your cursor over the cog icon to open the Settings menu and choose "Settings"
- From the left-hand menu select "Filters"
- Click the "Add" button
- Enter a name for your filter such as "Whitelist No.1"
- Next to "From" select "contains" from the drop-down and then on the right type in either a full email address (firstname.lastname@example.org) or a domain (example.com)
- The default filter is "Then move this message to... Inbox" and you can leave this unchanged
- Click the Save button
- Click Save again
I appreciate that in most cases it won't be possible to pass on these instructions, but even if it helps with one or two people, hopefully it is worthwhile me telling you.